Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lost to make a better decision!

In a recent conference of ‘Women Leadership’ of Silicon India on 5th March,2010 in Chennai, India , got to listen to talk of Sumitra Seshan, COO of Fifth Generation Technologies India(P) Ltd. which touched my heart. It really seemed inspiring too.


She was talking about her experience about herself in boardroom were most of them were men apart from her and another lady colleague of her. When they were talking something, she wanted to interrupt and give another point of you. However, they did not hear her. She tried to raise her voice again, still nobody tried to pay attention. Later she kept mum.


Later after the meeting , one of the colleague asked “I saw you raising your hand to make a point in the meeting, why did you not say it?” She replied, ‘Nobody was interested to hear me’. The colleague said, ‘Then the company lost to make a better decision.’


How true! Every time we think that by being quiet we are doing justice by maintaining harmony, we are wrong. If there is a better view we have to speak up.

1 comment:

looking within said...

Very nicely put. Many times we are not sure about our idea (this happens in research also especially when there are so many profs around)and don't speak up. My prof ssupports me always and tells me that there are no stupid ideas/questions in fact:-D
So I can speak up, ha ha:-D