Saturday, July 31, 2010

dhayi akshar prem ke....

I generally travel by train from home to office. It is just a ten minute journey, but I enjoy the most.Seeing different people and reading different thoughts.

There are people who read some book, who read paper, who sleep. Some eat their packed food, some pray and chant 'mantras' and some listen to music. One with a grumpy face and other with a pleasant face. It is quite interesting to watch people :-)

On one such day, I was sitting cosily and watching people. Just then I saw a pregnant woman standing. Looking at nobody giving her seat astonished me for a moment. I got up to give her a seat. But suddenly a man having 'vibhuti' on his forehead who saw me getting up sat on my place. Suddenly thought,'What is the point of all the prayers and vibhuti, when you dont have love for your fellow beings?'

This reminds of Kabir's dohey(poem) in hindi:


Pothi padhi padhi jag muaa pandit hua na koi
Dhayi akshar prem ke padhai so pandit hoyi

It says, no point in reading different scriptures and having knowledge when you do not have love in your heart.

1 comment:

vinuettan said...

Beautiful, no point. It has become so habitual for some people that it doesn't affect them...
That kabir ka dosa was delicious and my favorite too.
hear is here-yesudas sung this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJA9JVsvX8