Monday, February 3, 2014

What is your religion?

We had guest at home a week back. The first question she asked me was 'Are you Christian?' I was surprised by that question. If it was me, would not have asked it. Is it so hard to look at a person beyond religion, caste, creed and colour? Can't we just love others for what they are? We did have friends in schools and college from all walks of life...suddenly as we age not sure why so many mental blocks come up. Infact as we age, more maturity and love should come up.

I know of people who grew up in particular region have affinity only towards them. For people from little south or north the immediate suspicion rises oh...probably they might be little cunning, need to be careful with them. When I call up back in India, frequent question I get is, 'Are there any malayalees in your place? ' I would be surprised by that question. It is ok to have any neighbours as long as they are not annoying. Probably we need a large heart and wider perspective to look at people as they are.

If this is the state of mind from a communist ruled state, 'Kerala'. Cannot imagine about the rest states in India. Even know of some narrow minded people asking me, what caste does your friend belong? Would gently reply, 'I don't ask their caste...'


Let us come out of the mental block and sterotyped notion of few sects of people. In this 21st century, when we enjoy music, food and books from all over the world lets take the message of love from all religion and caste and say...., 'Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam...'(One world family)

No comments: